1. Every time you cross the street, you also say the phrase "we're going to die."
2. You have to pay for toilet paper in a public restroom (or bring your own).
3. You have learned not to make eye contact with anyone who is selling anything on the street, because they will take it as a sign of interest & follow you for the next 4 blocks trying to convince you why you need a fluffy toy that squeaks when you squish it.
4. You don't stop at stop signs, you honk & if anyone is coming through; they are expected to do the stopping.
5. You have eaten something that would be considered a pet in the States (for example... guinea pig).
6. You automatically try to conserve the water because you never know when the local government will shut it off because they have a beef with the big government...how this affects the big government. No idea! haha!
7. You've learned to ignore whistles, catcalls, honking, and other random gestures of interest from the majority of males walking down the street.
8. Everyone assumes you're rich because you're a gringo.
9. If rice isn't in the meal, potatoes, bread, or some other starch is.
10. If you don’t greet with a kiss on the cheek, they will find you.
12. Time is more of an idea rather than an actual instruction.
13. Public transportation is a sketchy guy in a sketchy van.
14. You see roughly 48 different stray dogs on any one excursion around town.
15. You see one man, one wife, two small children, the family chicken, and a loaf of bread...on one motorcycle.
16. If you do not understand someone, it will be followed by louder speaking & bigger motioning with the hands...I have to admit, I'm guilty of this one when it's the other way around. Haha!!
17. Traffic laws are really more like "guidelines." But the real rule is, whoever is bigger wins.
=) Oh how I love Peru!!!!